How to stop Windows 11 and 10 from using thumbnail preview icons for folders
As you probably know, Windows 11 and Windows 10 have the ability to show a preview of a folder contents on the icon of the folder itself. For example, if a folder contains videos, Windows 11/10 may show a set of video stills on the icon of that folder when you are browsing your computer.
In some cases this ability could be fun or useful, in others in could be annoying. The good thing is, you are in control of this behavior, and if you don't like seeing the folder contents previews, you have a way of telling Windows to stop displaying them, and show regular folder icons instead. Here is how:
Open Windows 11/10 Settings app. For example, right-click on the Start button and choose Settings from the menu.
In the Settings window, search for explorer and choose File Explorer Options from the results shown:
- Select the View tab, and check the box next to the option that reads Always show icons, never thumbnails:
Password-protect and hide personal files and folders with Folder Guard for Windows 11,10,8,7.
User rating: 4.7 / 5
Purchase or download a free trial.
Press OK and you are done! From now on, Windows should show the regular folder icons rather than contents preview ones. You may need to refresh the File Explorer window (by pressing F5 within it) to force it to update the icons after making the change.
Happy computer browsing!
If you want to link to this article, you can use this HTML code: <a href="https://www.winability.com/how-to-stop-windows-from-using-contents-preview-icons-for-folders/">How to stop Windows 11 and 10 from using thumbnail preview icons for folders</a>
- How to move Pictures and other folders to Virtual Encrypted Disk
- How to disable Fast Startup if you use encryption software
- How to restore Videos, Pictures, and other folders in This PC in Windows 11
- How to create a local user account in Windows 11 or Windows 10
- How to enable or disable test signing mode in Windows
- Email or SMS text messaging are NOT secure for two-factor authentication
- Estimate how much you could save on electric bill with ActiveExit software
- How to delete partition on Windows 11 or Windows 10
- Forget VeraCrypt password? Here is how to recover it.
- Why do my desktop icons keep moving?
- How to create a private folder in Windows 11 and 10
- How to restrict access to Windows Settings with Folder Guard
- Suspending all operations with fascist Russia
- How to keep desktop icons from moving by running Icon Shepherd from command line
- How to restrict access to Task Manager with Folder Guard
- Take ownership of your files after access denied due to NTFS permissions
- How to reprogram or disable CAPS LOCK key
- Encryptability vs Folder Guard: which one to choose?
- Troubleshooting software removal problems using MSI files
- Encryptability: Compare Personal and Business Licenses
- How to add Group Policy and Local Security Policy to Windows 11 and 10 Home edition
- SOLVED – File is too large for the destination file system
- Forget your WI-FI password? Find it in Windows 11 and 10 settings
- What is FAT32 maximum file size limit?
- How to create a secret folder in Windows 11 and 10
- How to easily password-protect Windows Linux folders with Folder Guard
- Force DISKPART to delete EFI system partition in Windows 11 and 10
- How to make Windows 11 and 10 recognize a cloned hard drive again
- How to stop Windows 11 and 10 from using thumbnail preview icons for folders
- How to hide pictures from the Photos app in Windows 11 and 10
- How to save Windows Spotlight photos to your computer
- How to move the OneDrive folder to an encrypted drive
- Windows 10 fails to upgrade? Here is how to fix it.
- How to stop Microsoft Edge from opening PDF files
- Preventing installations of specific programs with Folder Guard
- Folder Guard licensing explained
- Speed up the updates of the network folders
- Make your Windows laptop work as a Wi-Fi access point
- How to stop automatic Windows Update in Windows 10 and 11
- Solved: Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.
- Migrating encrypted data from TrueCrypt to USBCrypt
- “The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now. Try again later.”
- Using DiffMerge as the external tool of AB Commander to compare plain text files
- How to repair the icon cache and/or thumbnail cache in Windows 11 and 10
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 2
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 1
- Case study: Using SoftDetective to suppress Corel Guide sign-in prompt
- Using junction points to change the iTunes backup folder location
- How to tell if my Windows computer is 32- or 64-bit?
- How do I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons?
- Organize your photo library with the Rename tool of AB Commander
- Windows does not offer the NTFS format option? Here is how to bring it back.
- How to encrypt Firefox profile, bookmarks, and cookies
- Restarting Windows 11, 10, and Windows 8 in the safe mode
- Integrating AB Commander with Universal Viewer
- How to delete a protected EFI system partition with Windows 11,10, 8, or 7
- Using Folder Guard to protect from the social engineering attacks
- How to erase Windows login password if you forget it
- How to unhide a folder hidden with Folder Guard
- How to repair Windows desktop icons with AB Commander
- Slow network in Windows 7 Virtual PC? Speed it up!
- How to show drive letters first in AB Commander and Windows Explorer
- What is my IP address?
- Why can’t I copy large files over 4GB to my USB flash drive or SD card?
- Test the strength of your password with USBCrypt
- How to set up an external text editor for AB Commander
- How to restrict Internet Explorer from downloading programs from the Internet
- Personal vs business license for USBCrypt
- Use Folder Guard to restrict access to Control Panel
- Compare MySecretFolder and Folder Guard
- Hide folders and make files invisible with Folder Guard
- WINEXIT vs ActiveExit: automatically log off users from Windows
- How to protect folder with password in Windows 11 and 10
- How to restrict access and lock external drives with Folder Guard
- How to password-protect Dropbox folder with USBCrypt
- How to set up Folder Guard to stop downloading from the Internet
- Is (Wipe the content) the same as (Secure Delete)?
- How to encrypt and protect the system C: drive with USBCrypt
- Make it easier to return your lost encrypted drive
- USBCrypt for users of Microsoft Office
- How to start programs elevated from a batch file
- How to make elevated programs recognize network drives
- How to disable or enable hibernation
- Using names and labels to organize USBCrypt drives
- How to password-protect a USB flash drive
- Always have a backup of your important files