Always have a backup of your important files
If you have files that are important to you, make sure you always have a good backup of them!
Password-protect and hide personal files and folders with Folder Guard for Windows 11,10,8,7.
User rating: 4.7 / 5
Purchase or download a free trial.
There are many ways to lose your files. For example, your hard drive may die. (Just search for such problems on the web, you will see how often it happens!) When you replace the hard drive and use the restore discs to make your computer work again, you get the computer in the state as it was when you first bought it, without your own files that you've added later. Without a good backup, you won't have them anymore.
Or, consider a virus infection: some viruses may damage your system so badly that only a complete reformat of the hard drive may get rid of the virus. Again, without a backup, you won't have your files back after that.
Or, the software that you use (including our software!) may have programming errors that may cause your files to be lost. Or, there may be a human error: you could press a wrong button somewhere that would cause your files to disappear, and not notice that until it's too late.
The loss of files may happen unexpectedly. For example, consider the Windows Upgrade procedure. When you upgrade to Windows 10 (or to Windows 8, or 7) from a previous version of Windows, the Microsoft upgrade program makes a copy of all files that you have in the My Documents and other such folders. However, if it encounters a file that it cannot access (because, for example, you've used a file protection software, such as our Folder Guard or MySecretFolder, to hide or lock the file with a password, then Windows Upgrade program may skip such a file without giving you any opportunity to unlock the file. When it finishes the upgrade, it restores all documents it had saved before, except, of course, the files that were protected by the software. As a result, you would no longer have the protected files after the upgrade.
Encrypt and password-protect files with Encryptability encryption software for Windows 11,10,8,7.
User rating: 5 / 5
Purchase or download a free trial.
You may feel the desire to blame the file protection software for that, but when you think of it, the software was just doing the job it was designed to do: it was protecting the files that you wanted to be protected! It should be the Windows Upgrade responsibility to alert you about any files that it could not copy, shouldn't it?
In any case, the easy solution to any such problem would be to just restore the files from the backup.
If you don't have a backup of your important files yet, then stop whatever you are doing and do a backup now. And set up a schedule to keep doing the backup regularly, to have the latest updates to your files saved, as well. If you use our folder protection software (Folder Guard or MySecretFolder), do not forget to disable the protection before starting the backup, because our software may keep protecting the files from the backup program, too! Always verify that the backup set that you've created actually has all the important files of yours, including those protected by our software!
There are many online backup services, such as SpiderOak or DropBox, that offer very cheap or even free online backup options. If you don't like the online services, get an external hard drive, they are so cheap these days. The number of the available options is large, and it's inexcusable to have no backup of your important files, period.
- How to move Pictures and other folders to Virtual Encrypted Disk
- How to disable Fast Startup if you use encryption software
- How to restore Videos, Pictures, and other folders in This PC in Windows 11
- How to create a local user account in Windows 11 or Windows 10
- How to enable or disable test signing mode in Windows
- Email or SMS text messaging are NOT secure for two-factor authentication
- Estimate how much you could save on electric bill with ActiveExit software
- How to delete partition on Windows 11 or Windows 10
- Forget VeraCrypt password? Here is how to recover it.
- Why do my desktop icons keep moving?
- How to create a private folder in Windows 11 and 10
- How to restrict access to Windows Settings with Folder Guard
- Suspending all operations with fascist Russia
- How to keep desktop icons from moving by running Icon Shepherd from command line
- How to restrict access to Task Manager with Folder Guard
- Take ownership of your files after access denied due to NTFS permissions
- How to reprogram or disable CAPS LOCK key
- Encryptability vs Folder Guard: which one to choose?
- Troubleshooting software removal problems using MSI files
- Encryptability: Compare Personal and Business Licenses
- How to add Group Policy and Local Security Policy to Windows 11 and 10 Home edition
- SOLVED – File is too large for the destination file system
- Forget your WI-FI password? Find it in Windows 11 and 10 settings
- What is FAT32 maximum file size limit?
- How to create a secret folder in Windows 11 and 10
- How to easily password-protect Windows Linux folders with Folder Guard
- Force DISKPART to delete EFI system partition in Windows 11 and 10
- How to make Windows 11 and 10 recognize a cloned hard drive again
- How to stop Windows 11 and 10 from using thumbnail preview icons for folders
- How to hide pictures from the Photos app in Windows 11 and 10
- How to save Windows Spotlight photos to your computer
- How to move the OneDrive folder to an encrypted drive
- Windows 10 fails to upgrade? Here is how to fix it.
- How to stop Microsoft Edge from opening PDF files
- Preventing installations of specific programs with Folder Guard
- Folder Guard licensing explained
- Speed up the updates of the network folders
- Make your Windows laptop work as a Wi-Fi access point
- How to stop automatic Windows Update in Windows 10 and 11
- Solved: Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.
- Migrating encrypted data from TrueCrypt to USBCrypt
- “The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now. Try again later.”
- Using DiffMerge as the external tool of AB Commander to compare plain text files
- How to repair the icon cache and/or thumbnail cache in Windows 11 and 10
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 2
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 1
- Case study: Using SoftDetective to suppress Corel Guide sign-in prompt
- Using junction points to change the iTunes backup folder location
- How to tell if my Windows computer is 32- or 64-bit?
- How do I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons?
- Organize your photo library with the Rename tool of AB Commander
- Windows does not offer the NTFS format option? Here is how to bring it back.
- How to encrypt Firefox profile, bookmarks, and cookies
- Restarting Windows 11, 10, and Windows 8 in the safe mode
- Integrating AB Commander with Universal Viewer
- How to delete a protected EFI system partition with Windows 11,10, 8, or 7
- Using Folder Guard to protect from the social engineering attacks
- How to erase Windows login password if you forget it
- How to unhide a folder hidden with Folder Guard
- How to repair Windows desktop icons with AB Commander
- Slow network in Windows 7 Virtual PC? Speed it up!
- How to show drive letters first in AB Commander and Windows Explorer
- What is my IP address?
- Why can’t I copy large files over 4GB to my USB flash drive or SD card?
- Test the strength of your password with USBCrypt
- How to set up an external text editor for AB Commander
- How to restrict Internet Explorer from downloading programs from the Internet
- Personal vs business license for USBCrypt
- Use Folder Guard to restrict access to Control Panel
- Compare MySecretFolder and Folder Guard
- Hide folders and make files invisible with Folder Guard
- WINEXIT vs ActiveExit: automatically log off users from Windows
- How to protect folder with password in Windows 11 and 10
- How to restrict access and lock external drives with Folder Guard
- How to password-protect Dropbox folder with USBCrypt
- How to set up Folder Guard to stop downloading from the Internet
- Is (Wipe the content) the same as (Secure Delete)?
- How to encrypt and protect the system C: drive with USBCrypt
- Make it easier to return your lost encrypted drive
- USBCrypt for users of Microsoft Office
- How to start programs elevated from a batch file
- How to make elevated programs recognize network drives
- How to disable or enable hibernation
- Using names and labels to organize USBCrypt drives
- How to password-protect a USB flash drive
- Always have a backup of your important files