AB Commander includes a basic file comparing tool that you can use to compare two files and see the differences between them. To use it, first make sure that only two files are selected in AB Commander. (They could be in the same panel or in the opposite panels.) Press Shift+E or choose Compare Files from the Tools menu of AB Commander, and the results of the comparison should appear in a separate window:
This tool is fine for a quick glance at the differences, but what if you want to see what exactly has changed between the two files, line by line? To see such information, you need to install an external diff viewer application. There are quite a few of such applications available on the web, and the basic way of using them is the same: you need to specify the two files to compare, and the diff viewer would display them side by side and show the differences in some way.
One of such tools is DiffMerge published by SourceGear, LLC. It's a free download, no payment is required to use this tool (at least that was the case at the time of this writing.) To download DiffMerge, first determine whether your Windows version is 32- or 64-bit. Then, go to the DiffMerge download page and select the appropriate version, 32- or 64-bit, to match your version of Windows. Download and save the file to your hard drive. Finally, run the setup file to install DiffMerge on your computer.
The next step is to integrate DiffMerge software with AB Commander, in order to be able to quickly use it to display the differences between the two selected files, without the need to specify them separately using the DiffMerge file selection interface. To do that, we need to set up DiffMerge as the external file comparer within AB Commander. Choose View - Options from the menu of AB Commander, select the Tools tab, select File Comparer in the dropdown box, and press the Options button next to External. When the Options for External File Comparer window opens, specify the path to the DiffMerge application in the Path area, such as:
(You can determine this path by, for example, looking into the properties of the shortcut that DiffMerge installs on your Windows desktop.)
Also, enter the following text in the Command line area:
Why such a command line? It will be used by AB Commander to pass the information about the selected files to DiffMerge when you launch it from within AB Commander: %1 will be replaced with the path of the first selected file, %2 with the path of the second selected file, and they both will be enclosed in the double quotes, to account for the possibility of the presence of the space characters in their file names:
That's all that it takes to integrate DiffMerge with AB Commander. From now on, when you want to examine the differences between two text files in detail, select them in AB Commander, and choose Ctrl+Shift+E (or choose Tools - Compare Files - Alternative File Comparer from the menu) and DiffMerge will be launched for you:
One final note: such file comparison only works with the plain text files, such as the files created with Windows Notepad, or with the Quick Editor of AB Commander. If you want to compare, say, two Microsoft Word files, you should use the built-in revision history viewer that Microsoft Word provides and that's specifically designed for the Word files.
Happy file managing!
If you want to link to this article, you can use this HTML code: <a href="http://www.winability.com/using-diffmerge-as-the-external-tool-of-ab-commander/">Using DiffMerge as the external tool of AB Commander</a>
- Encryptability vs Folder Guard: which one to choose?
- Troubleshooting software removal problems using MSI files
- Encryptability: Compare Personal and Business Licenses
- Solved: How to add Group Policy and Local Security Policy to Windows 10 Home
- File too large for USB drive? Here is how to fix it.
- Forget your WI-FI password? Find it in Windows 10 settings
- What is FAT32 maximum file size limit?
- How to create a secret folder with Folder Guard for Windows 10
- How to easily password-protect Windows 10 Linux folders with Folder Guard
- How to reset the root password after upgrading MariaDB
- How to upgrade MySQL or MariaDB properly
- Force DISKPART to delete EFI system partition on Windows 10
- How to make Windows 10 recognize a cloned hard drive again
- How to stop Windows 10 from using thumbnail preview icons for folders
- How to hide pictures from the Photos app in Windows 10
- How to save Windows Spotlight photos to your computer
- How to move the OneDrive folder to an encrypted drive
- Windows 10 fails to upgrade? Here is how to fix it.
- How to stop Microsoft Edge from hijacking PDF files
- Preventing installations of specific programs with Folder Guard
- Folder Guard licensing explained
- Speed up the updates of the network folders
- Make your Windows laptop work as a Wi-Fi access point
- How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10
- Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.
- Migrating encrypted data from TrueCrypt to USBCrypt
- Enhancing a photo CD collection with PhotoLauncher
- “The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now. Try again later.”
- Using DiffMerge as the external tool of AB Commander to compare plain text files
- How to erase the icon cache and/or thumbnail cache in Windows 10
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 2
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 1
- Case study: Using SoftDetective to suppress Corel Guide sign-in prompt
- Using junction points to change the iTunes backup folder location
- How to tell if my Windows is 32- or 64-bit?
- How do I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons?
- Organize your photo library with the Rename tool of AB Commander
- Windows does not offer the NTFS format option? Here is how to bring it back.
- Encrypt Firefox profile, bookmarks, and cookies with USBCrypt
- Restarting Windows 10 and Windows 8 in the safe mode
- Integrating AB Commander with Universal Viewer
- How to delete a protected EFI system partition with Windows 10, 8, or 7
- Using Folder Guard to protect from the social engineering attacks
- How to erase Windows login password if you forget it
- How to unhide a folder hidden with Folder Guard
- How to repair Windows desktop icons with AB Commander
- Slow network in Windows 7 Virtual PC? Speed it up!
- How to show drive letters first in AB Commander and Windows Explorer
- What is my IP address?
- Why can’t I copy large files over 4GB to my USB flash drive or SD card?
- Test the strength of your password with USBCrypt
- How to set up an external text editor for AB Commander
- How to restrict Internet Explorer from downloading programs from the Internet
- Personal vs business license for USBCrypt
- Use Folder Guard to restrict access to Control Panel
- Compare MySecretFolder and Folder Guard
- Hide folders and make files invisible with Folder Guard
- WINEXIT vs ActiveExit: automatically log off users from Windows 10
- Password protect folders, lock files and folders with passwords
- How to restrict access and lock external drives with Folder Guard
- How to password-protect Dropbox folder with USBCrypt
- How to set up Folder Guard to stop downloading from the Internet
- Is [Wipe the content] the same as [Secure Delete]?
- How to encrypt and protect the system C: drive with USBCrypt
- Make it easier to return your lost encrypted drive
- USBCrypt for users of Microsoft® Office
- How to start programs elevated from a batch file
- How to make elevated programs recognize network drives
- How to disable hibernation with AB Commander
- Using names and labels to organize USBCrypt drives
- How to password-protect a USB flash drive
- Always have a backup of your important files