If you don't want other users to see the files of Folder Guard on your computer, you can configure Folder Guard to operate in the "stealth mode". To enable or disable this mode, use the Tools - Stealth Mode command of Folder Guard.
When you enable the stealth mode, Folder Guard performs the following actions for you:
- It assigns the hidden attribute to the shortcuts to Folder Guard, if they appear on the Start menu, on the All Programs menu, and on the Desktop. Note that only the shortcuts named Folder Guard, as created by the Folder Guard installation utility, get hidden in the stealth mode. If you rename the shortcuts, they will NOT be hidden when you enable the stealth mode. To hide such shortcuts, assign the hidden attribute to them manually.
- It assigns the hidden attribute to the installation folder of Folder Guard. This way, other users would not be able to see the files of Folder Guard or disrupt its operation by deleting its files.
- It hides Folder Guard from the Add/Remove Programs command of Windows Control Panel. This way, other users would not be able to see the presence of Folder Guard in the list of the programs installed on your computer.
Many commands of Folder Guard are not available in the stealth mode:
- When attempting to open a locked folder, the password prompt is not displayed. Instead, an "Access denied" message is shown to the user. The only way to gain acces to the protected folders in the stealth mode is by running the Emergency Recovery Utility.
- The hot key and the notification icon may become inactive after you restart the computer (or just log off and then log back on).
- ... and more. Basically, the only protection that is available in the stealth mode is the protection of files and folders according to their restricting attributes and the filters.
Since all files and shortcuts to Folder Guard are hidden in the stealth mode, you cannot use them to run Folder Guard or to disable the protection of your computer! The only way to control Folder Guard in the stealth mode is by using the Emergency Recovery Utility.)
Copyright © 2013,
WinAbility® Software Corporation.
All rights reserved.