If you've been using the popular encryption software TrueCrypt, you are probably aware that its anonymous development team had announced recently that they are discontinuing the development of TrueCrypt, and advising its users to migrate their encrypted files to other software solutions. While it's not entirely clear which "unfixed security issues" the developers refer to in their announcement, it's probably a good idea to start looking for an alternative to TrueCrypt.
If you've used TrueCrypt to encrypt an external drive, then our USBCrypt is an obvious choice: we've designed it specifically to make the encryption of the external drives easy and straightforward. (And yes, it's as secure as it can be.)
Special offer for the TrueCrypt users migrating to USBCrypt:
If you've got a new external drive where you want to move your data from a TrueCrypt volume, the procedure is quite simple: all you need to do is use USBCrypt software to create a new empty Virtual Encrypted Disk on the external drive, then mount the TrueCrypt volume and use Windows Explorer (or any other file manager you like) to copy the files from the TrueCrypt volume to the Virtual Encrypted Disk created with USBCrypt. After the copying is all done, the data have been migrated! You can now delete the TrueCrypt volume and use that external drive for other purposes.
What if you don't have another external drive and want to convert the same drive from TrueCrypt to USBCrypt? That's not a problem, too: you surely have a backup of the data in some other place, right? Or, if this is a backup drive, then you have the master copy of the files on your computer, correct? So in such a case, first make sure the second copy (the master or the backup) of the data is in good condition and up-to-date, and then just format the external drive, use USBCrypt to create a fresh new Virtual Encrypted Disk on it, and then copy the files from the master or from the backup onto the encrypted disk using Windows Explorer or another file manager.
Special offer for the TrueCrypt users migrating to USBCrypt: SAVE 50% NOW
If you want to link to this article, you can use this HTML code: <a href="http://www.winability.com/migrating-encrypted-data-from-truecrypt-to-usbcrypt/">Migrating encrypted data from TrueCrypt to USBCrypt</a>
- How to create a private folder in Windows 11 and 10
- How to restrict access to Windows Settings with Folder Guard
- Suspending all sales to fascist Russia
- How to keep desktop icons from moving by running Icon Shepherd from command line
- How to restrict access to Task Manager with Folder Guard
- Take ownership of your files after access denied due to NTFS permissions
- How to disable CAPS LOCK key
- Encryptability vs Folder Guard: which one to choose?
- Troubleshooting software removal problems using MSI files
- Encryptability: Compare Personal and Business Licenses
- Solved: How to add Group Policy and Local Security Policy to Windows 11 and 10 Home edition
- File too large for USB drive? Here is how to fix it.
- Forget your WI-FI password? Find it in Windows 11 and 10 settings
- What is FAT32 maximum file size limit?
- How to create a secret folder in Windows 11 and 10
- How to easily password-protect Windows Linux folders with Folder Guard
- How to reset the root password after upgrading MariaDB
- How to upgrade MySQL or MariaDB properly
- Force DISKPART to delete EFI system partition in Windows 11 and 10
- How to make Windows 11 and 10 recognize a cloned hard drive again
- How to stop Windows 11 and 10 from using thumbnail preview icons for folders
- How to hide pictures from the Photos app in Windows 11 and 10
- How to save Windows 10 Spotlight photos to your computer
- How to move the OneDrive folder to an encrypted drive
- Windows 10 fails to upgrade? Here is how to fix it.
- How to stop Microsoft Edge from hijacking PDF files
- Preventing installations of specific programs with Folder Guard
- Folder Guard licensing explained
- Speed up the updates of the network folders
- Make your Windows laptop work as a Wi-Fi access point
- How to stop auto update in Windows 10 and 11
- Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.
- Migrating encrypted data from TrueCrypt to USBCrypt
- Enhancing a photo CD collection with PhotoLauncher
- “The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now. Try again later.”
- Using DiffMerge as the external tool of AB Commander to compare plain text files
- How to repair the icon cache and/or thumbnail cache in Windows 11 and 10
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 2
- Transferring images between your PC and an Android device: Part 1
- Case study: Using SoftDetective to suppress Corel Guide sign-in prompt
- Using junction points to change the iTunes backup folder location
- How to tell if my Windows is 32- or 64-bit?
- How do I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons?
- Organize your photo library with the Rename tool of AB Commander
- Windows does not offer the NTFS format option? Here is how to bring it back.
- How to encrypt Firefox profile, bookmarks, and cookies
- Restarting Windows 11, 10, and Windows 8 in the safe mode
- Integrating AB Commander with Universal Viewer
- How to delete a protected EFI system partition with Windows 11,10, 8, or 7
- Using Folder Guard to protect from the social engineering attacks
- How to erase Windows login password if you forget it
- How to unhide a folder hidden with Folder Guard
- How to repair Windows desktop icons with AB Commander
- Slow network in Windows 7 Virtual PC? Speed it up!
- How to show drive letters first in AB Commander and Windows Explorer
- What is my IP address?
- Why can’t I copy large files over 4GB to my USB flash drive or SD card?
- Test the strength of your password with USBCrypt
- How to set up an external text editor for AB Commander
- How to restrict Internet Explorer from downloading programs from the Internet
- Personal vs business license for USBCrypt
- Use Folder Guard to restrict access to Control Panel
- Compare MySecretFolder and Folder Guard
- Hide folders and make files invisible with Folder Guard
- WINEXIT vs ActiveExit: automatically log off users from Windows
- Password protect folders, lock files and folders with passwords
- How to restrict access and lock external drives with Folder Guard
- How to password-protect Dropbox folder with USBCrypt
- How to set up Folder Guard to stop downloading from the Internet
- Is [Wipe the content] the same as [Secure Delete]?
- How to encrypt and protect the system C: drive with USBCrypt
- Make it easier to return your lost encrypted drive
- USBCrypt for users of Microsoft® Office
- How to start programs elevated from a batch file
- How to make elevated programs recognize network drives
- How to disable hibernation with AB Commander
- Using names and labels to organize USBCrypt drives
- How to password-protect a USB flash drive
- Always have a backup of your important files